Homemade sushi with Fratelli Beretta but you can use chirozo. Delicious garnished with cilantro or fresh coriander leaves and dipped in soy sauce.
When making sushi you’ve to be prepared for a major de-ricing operation. You get rice stuck on your hair, socks, clothes, kitchen counters, and even your dog. It’s a nightmare but it’s great fun with kids.
Sushi with omelette, carrots and avocados. Ideal for lunch boxes.
2 cups Sushi grade rice
2¼ cups Cold water
2 tsp Rice wine vinegar or white vinegar
2 tsp Sugar
1/2 tsp Salt
1/3 cup Hot water
1 Packet nori sheets made with seaweed
2 Carrots peeled and cut into thin strips
1 Avocado peeled and cut into thin segments
Soya sauce and wasabi for dipping
A pair of good hands
Method for the rice
1. Use 2 cups of water to 2 cups of rice.
2. Do not wash the rice.
3. Bring the rice to a boil with the lid closed.
4. Quickly lower the heat and let the rice simmer until all the water is gone, about 20 minutes.
5. Turn the heat off and let the rice cool.
6. DO NOT TAKE THE LID OFF AT ANY POINT.
7. Meantime, dissolve the sugar in 1/3 cup hot water and pour in the vinegar. Stir well.
8. When the rice has cooled, pour the sugar and vinegar solution and coat the rice well by mixing with a wooden spoon.
Now you’re ready for the sushi adventure.
Here’s a good video to show how to roll a shushi – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swGJ2dIu9XE