Anything to do with pastry seems intimidating but don’t let it put you off, you can purchase ready rolled pastry and it works equally well. The real work is producing the parcel, which must be sealed and crimped properly at the edges to prevent juice from leaking out. It is advisable to make a couple of tiny slits on the top to let steam escape during cooking. This helps prevent pressure buildup and cracking the pastry. To be well organized, you can prepare the pastry and sauce a day in advance.
10.6 Ounces (300 grams) All purpose flour
5.2 Ounces (150 grams) Cold butter, diced
3 to 4 Tablespoons icy water
4, 1/4 lb fresh salmon fillets
1 Medium size white onion
1/4 Cup white plain flour
1/2 Pack of bella mushrooms washed and chopped – about 4 oz or 114 g
2 Cups of water
1 Cup grated cheddar cheese
1/2 Cup heavy cream
1 small chicken stock cube (free of msg)
1. If you have bought frozen pastry, you would need to defrost according to instruction.
2. In a food processor, put the cubed butter and flour together. Pulse until it resembles fine breadcrumbs.
3. While the food processor is running, slowly add the icy water until it gathers into a pastry.
4. The dough shouldn’t be sticky or crumbly.
5. Remove and wrap in cling film. Chill in the fridge for at least 1/2 hour.
Prepare the mushroom sauce
1. Saute the slice onions in a little olive or sunflower oil for about 10 minutes.
2. Put in the chopped mushrooms, water, flour and let the mixture cook for about 20 minutes.
3. When the mixture is slightly reduced, mix in the grated cheese and cook for 3 minutes stirring constantly.
4. Just before removing from the heat, pour in the thick cream.
5. The sauce should be cooled down completely before using.
Make the parcel
1. Preheat the oven to 370°F.
2. Remove pastry from the fridge.
3. Roll the pastry out to about 1/4 inch thick.
4. Make a rectangle shape and trim the edges.
5. Place your salmon piece at the end and put the mushroom sauce on top.
6. Fold over the pastry and crimp the edges with a fork, pressing hard.
7. Gently lift the parcel and place on a greased baking tray.
8. Make two tiny slits on the top, about an inch long each.
9. Brush the outside of the pastry with beaten egg.
10. Put the whole parcel in the preheated oven and cook for about 40 minutes.
11. Your pastry should be nice and golden.
12. The remainder of the mushroom sauce can be heated up and serve with the dish.