A perfect dish for the winter as it is very warming, but its also fantastic in the summer with fresh summer squash
If you fancy a bit of warmth in the winter, try this potato and carrot soup with fresh ginger. Using fresh ginger is a must as the powder form doesn’t give the same punch. There’s certainly a lot of heat stored in this aromatic pungent root vegetable. Some cultures use ginger wrap and ginger compress to treat arthritis and all sorts of ailments including muscle injuries. Ginger is known to have anti-inflammatory properties and it aids blood circulation. So, adding fresh ginger to your cooking once in a while is beneficial for health. For this recipe, you can vary the quantities according to your taste.
2 pounds carrots peeled and chopped
2 large potatoes peeled and cut into small chunks
2 tsp Fresh ginger, grated – if you like it more spicy add more by all means!
1 Chicken stock cube to 3 cups water
2 cups milk
Cream – optional
1. Put the carrots, potatoes, onions, salt, ginger and couple of chicken stock cube in a pot of water and bring to boil.
2. Simmer until all the ingredients are soft and let the pot cool down.
3. Blend the whole thing with a hand held blender.
4. If the soup is very watery you can carry on simmering until it is thicker.
5. For our case, we found that the consistency of the soup after blending was too thick so we added two cups of milk to reach the right consistency we wanted.
6. Gently reheat the soup and serve immediately.
7. We added a swirl of fresh cream, it looked fantastic and tasted wonderful with warm bread rolls spread with butter.